The system then monitors those lists for changes and propagates any changes to the master list. This means that you can now follow spotify created lists or user created lists that change frequently to make your own mix in a single list. Ideal for mobile users. Can also be used to merge Spotify playlists!
Creating your first Master Playlist.The first thing you'll want to do is head to the Playlist Editor and create a Master Playlist. This is the playlist that the system will change as your linked playlists change. You canimport an existing playlist from Spotify orcreate a new playlist.
Creating Playlist Links to your Master Playlist.After you've created your Master Playlist in the System, you'll want to start telling the system which playlists should be monitored for changes. The system will look at all of the songs that are on your linked playlists and then add them to your Master Playlist. To edit your links click thebutton in the Actions column. All of the playlists that you follow on Spotify will be displayed. If you want to create a link to a playlist that is not in this list, you'll need to find it on Spotify, follow it and then return to IntelliMerge for Spotify. Once a link is created, you can unfollow the playlist. This lets you create links to playlists that you dont even have in your account. Handy. There are two types of links you can make for a playlist: Includes and Excludes (Please read the FAQ further down on this page titled "What does it mean to Include/Exclude playlists? Should I just Exclude everything I'm not Including?"). You canInclude a playlist orExclude a playlist from your master Playlist. You will not be able to include or exclude a Master Playlist from itself, but you can include or exclude it from other master playlists..
Filter your playlists.If you're an avid playlist link creator you may want to show the playlist links that you've created in the past without showing all of the playlists you follow. At the top of the Edit Links window there will be tabs that let you filter the results to things like All Followed, All Linked, or a combination of those. Click those to only show the playlists pertinent to the tab you want to see.
Unfollow or Follow a Playlist.Now that you've created a link to a playlist, you no longer need to follow it. If you choose, you can click theUnFollow button to remove it from your Spotify account. Some of the playlists you have will be missing this button. These are the playlists that you own and cannot Unfollow. If you have created a link to a playlist, and then unfollowed it, you will also have the option toFollow it again. When you are done, you can either press the x in the top right of the pop-up window, press close at the bottom right, or use the back button on your device. It saves the changes as you make them, so there is no 'Save' button to hit when you are done.
Edit settings of the Master Playlist.The defaults of a Master Playlist will work for most users, but you may want to take a look at what settings are available for each Master Playlist. To edit the settings of each Master Playlist you can click thebutton in the Actions column from the Main page. You can also access the scan/update logs for each Master Playlist from the settings pop-up window (coming soon).
Creating your Master Playlist on Spotify.If you did not import a playlist in step 1, you will be required to tell the system that it's time to create it on Spotify and link it to your newly created playlist. This is not done automatically to give you time to set the links and settings before the updater picks it up for the first time. Click theCreate button to create it in your Spotify Account. Now you just have to wait for the next Scan to pick up your playlist and update it. You can see the last time that your playlists were scanned below your list of master playlists, or on your profile page. In both places, you can clickto manually queue it for update as well. If you make a large number of changes to the links, this is a great tool to get your master playlists updated quickly.
With a VIP Membership, you can have all these extra features listed below. Show your appreciation for the service and pledge a few extra dollars each month to make sure that IntelliMerge for Spotify stays online and running smoothly. Thank you very much for your support!
Manage Your Subscription
Longer Playlists: By default we only pull the first 5000 songs before we stop. If you have VIP we up that limit to 15000.
More Playlists: Basic users are limited to only creating 2 Master Playlists that are updated. VIP users can make 20 Master Playlists.
No Ads: We need to pay for the servers somehow and we'll cut out the middle man and hide those pesky ads if you opt to give us a few extra dollars each month instead.
More frequent updates: Basic users only get their playlists updated once every 24 hours but as a VIP member your playlists are scanned every 60 minutes.
Queue Playlist Refresh: We give you the ability to queue your playlists for a refresh. Did you just make a bunch of changes to your links? Now you can queue a refresh to pick it up at the next scan.
Master Playlist Update Logs: We'll give you access to the update logs, letting you see how much was added or removed for the last 20 runs for each Master Playlist.
Beta Access: The newest features and bug fixes are pushed directly to the VIP users first. This means that they will often get more functionality turned on before the regular users.
Our never-ending appreciation: This project has been the result of input from many people and that feedback has led to continuous improvement. We could not have done that without you! Thank you very much! With your subscription comes a very heart-filled Thank you!
- We will never sell your information either as an anonymized collection or as distinct. Unless required to share any information by law enforcement agencies or agreements with our third party vendors (including but not limited to Spotify), we will never willingly give information about your usage of this service to anyone. You can always request an export of the data that we capture about you as well. Please create a support ticket for this and allow 7-14 days for us to process requests of this nature.
- We only capture information from your account or usage that we absolutely require to perform the services we promise to provide. In addition to this, we only request access to the elements of your account that we absolutely require to perform the services we promise to you. This means things like age, name, or any security information about your Spotify profile are never stored in our database. We do log IP addresses and information such as browser used, but never store this in any way that can be 'linked' to a specific user. This technical information is captured to monitor security and performance as well as develop the service further (If the majority of our users switch to Internet Explorer 6.0 then we may consider re-writing our website to support that). Most recently this is what has led us to completely rewrite the website with mobile first design. We found that >65% of our users were mobile users.
- If you're using our API we do log detailed information about its usage. This includes when, who, and what is requested. We only log uses of our API if directly using an APIKey and not when a user is logged in. Only VIPs are given the option to generate an APIKey. Usage of our API constitutes agreement with our detailed logging.
- We also log detailed information about webhooks. This includes failure rates and full history of the set urls and their responses. We log this to deter and control abuse of the feature. As this is a VIP only feature that users must opt-in to use, if you are uncomfortable with our logging of this, do not use it. Usage of the Webhook features, constitutes agreement with our logging of your usage of this feature.
This will let you opt-out of tracking. You may choose to prevent us from aggregating and analyzing the actions you take here. Doing so will protect your privacy, but will also prevent us from learning from your actions and creating a better experience for you and other users.
- We do not make any warranties or representations on behalf of Spotify and we expressly disclaim all implied warranties with respect to the Spotify Platform, Spotify Service and Spotify Content, including the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement.
- You agree that you are prohibited from modifying or creating derivative works based on the Spotify Platform, Spotify Service or Spotify Content.
- You are prohibited from decompiling, reverse-engineering, disassembling, and otherwise reducing the Spotify Platform, Spotify Service, and Spotify Content to source code or other human-perceivable form, to the full extent allowed by law.
- WritheM Web Solutions is responsible for this app and we hereby release any liability on the part of third parties (e.g., Spotify); In short, Spotify is not responsible for the content found on the WritheM Servers.
Keep an eye out in the future for opportunities to earn your VIP membership for free by developing translations for the system too! We are planning on supporting many different languages in the future and will need help translating the system. Soon™.
Here is a copy of the updates as they were originally posted on the main page. Each named version is included below.
We are currently running version: imfs-2.1-20210112-prod build: 4463
05 Feb '21: v188.8.131.5263 - Saranghae
Here's an early Valentines Day present:
Introducing: Special Playlists. These are playlists that don't actually exist on Spotify, but we let you link link to a Master Playlist anyway. Read on for more explanation as to what they are and why you should care.
- We've added the ability to link your Liked Songs to a Master Playlist. This feature was one of the first requested features since the release of 2.0 so it's nice to finally get it done. Thanks for your patience! (Issue: #6)
- We've also added 3 new Special Playlists that are normally completely hidden from a user in the Spotify apps. Because we can access the Spotify backend, we can get access to your top tracks over certain periods. We use this to give you access to your Top played tracks of the last 4 weeks, 6 months, and all time. You can exclude these from a Master Playlist to keep it fresh, or include them to populate it with the very best of your library. Enjoy!
- Hopefully we've fixed some caching issues reported by a chrome-mobile user that was suffering from cached data thanks to chrome's data saver functionality. We now instruct the browser not to cache the variables on the playlist editor page. All images, and scripts should still be cached as it was before. Time will tell if this solves it entirely though... Please report your experience on the github issue if you continue to see any adverse effects: Issue #23
Planned but deferred
We wanted to include these features in this major release, but would rather release these features sooner than making you wait until all of them are done.
- The ability to follow/anti-follow an artist. #12
- The ability to support podcasts in master playlists.
12 Jan '21: v184.108.40.20615 - ⌚
- Just a minor update to fix an out-of-bounds error on the manual queue button once we changed the DB field to TIMESTAMP from DATETIME. Clicking the queue for refresh button should now set the last update date to one second past Jan 1, 1970 instead of one second past Jan 1, 0000.
19 May '20: v220.127.116.1105 - ⚓
- Further improvements made to the race-condition checking.
- Some weird scrolling was going on on the FAQ page. Fixed that up and made anchors more responsive. (Issue #15)
13 May '20: v18.104.22.16825 - 🏎️
- Finally found that duplicates glitch pointed out in Issue #10. Was a race condition that if two update threads were running at the same time, they didn't properly claim the task for themselves. To remove any duplicates that IntelliMerge may have added you can either remove them manually or you can remove all songs and let it rebuild entirely. Sorry about that!
11 May '20: v22.214.171.12497 - 🐬
- When the DB is unavailable for whatever reason the user experience was really bad. Added some additional error handling and output (Issue: #11)
- Was not properly encoding the history id as an integer which was leading to huge overhead in the output of the base62 ids. Corrected.
- We were outputting the dates in the history table based on a non-ISO format. We've corrected that. (Issue: #13)
07 May '20: v126.96.36.19900 - Livy
This one is all about history, a minor bug fix, and some privacy enhancements.
- We've added the ability to see the history of your Master Playlists in the settings view of each Master Playlist. (Issue: #1)
- We now respect the Do-Not-Track feature of your browser and allow you to opt-out of analytics tracking. This is a per-device setting but allows you to request us to not track your device and the actions you take on it. We do rely on this information to develop features but wanted to respect your privacy first. You can find this setting in your profile page or the about page under the Privacy question. (Issue: #8)
- We now pull the changelog (since 2.0) from GitHub directly. This means we'll have fancier looking news options and the ability to see it via github.com/WritheM/IntelliMerge/releases. We also cache it from GitHub so if they are down or overloaded it wont affect our changelog :-)
- Properly encoding the titles of Master Playlists means that when the name of your playlist contains characters like
™it'll display that exactly as you enter it. Additionally spaces between words is not replaced by a + anymore. (Issue: #9)
04 May '20: v188.8.131.5200 - ChickieNuggies
May the fourth be with you... Just a small update on this one that affects the Updater.
- Fixed a bug that was erroneously marking accounts for purge
01 May '20: v184.108.40.20660 - Lacquer
Celebrate! 2.0! We have performed a complete re-write of the front-end and most of the backend. Please verify that your master playlists and their links have been correctly migrated from v1.x. I did my best to ensure everything was correct but with over 1100 users and 10k links, I couldn't look at every little thing.
- I have added a few limitations... This should allow more room for new users. Included is a limit to the number of Master Playlists that can be created/enabled at once. If you've already created more than the new limit, we've disabled your newest playlists that you've created. You are free to disable and enable your Master Playlists as you please to ensure you can have them all updated but if you remove any, you won't be able to create new ones to replace them. Thank you for being an early adopter!
- There is a new way of setting Master Playlists to not remove old songs. Instead of including the Master Playlist in itself, we have now created a full option for it. The updater should auto-migrate this setting upon first scan, or you can set it manually in the Master Playlist settings.
- We have added the ability to upgrade your account to a premium level, that comes with premium perks. As a thank you to our early adopters, we are offering 3 months of free VIP to all users (no purchase necessary) or 50% off a paid subscription, effectively giving you 6 months for free when you sign up for an annual subscription. These discount codes will only work until the end of May so act fast. For the 3 months free use
IMFS3FREEand for the 6 months free use
IMFS50OFFduring checkout, which can be started from the new Profile page once logged in.
- We changed the way we handle errors in the updater. Previously if an error happened, we'd log it, save it (for 24 hours), then move onto the next user. Now we also roll-back the change in the database for that user... this ensures that they get a second attempt (or third, etc) when updating. If 5 errors are detected in a row, then we'll skip this update cycle and try again at next interval.
- Fixed a bug that would continue editing a playlist if it errored out while fetching the included or excluded playlists... this used to lead to most of your songs removed and then added again in the next update. Now it will only add/remove songs to a Master Playlist once it has finished successfully scanning all of the linked playlists for that Master Playlist.
08 Mar '20: v220.127.116.115-"Clones"
- I've found the bug that was causing duplicate songs to be added. If you delete all songs in your current master playlists on spotify, it will rebuild it without duplicates and it will never add a duplicate song going forward. Alternatively, manually remove the duplicates. Thanks to Martijn for reporting this back in July '19; Thank you for your patience!
08 Jan '20: v18.104.22.1685-"Algernon"
- I've had to reduce the frequency that we check for updates. We're just too darn popular! We currently have 3 instances of the generate script running at any time so to reduce the number of hits to the spotify servers we now only check your playlists once each hour. Thanks for your understanding :)
- To increase efficiency in the incrimental generation script I've moved the purge function to the cleanup process which only executes once a day instead of every 10 minutes. Users who need to be purged will via a separate process that runs once a day.
- I've also added a bit of additional debug output to help isolate a duplicates glitch that was reported late last year. Updates likely to follow in the next minor version.
11 Jun '19: v22.214.171.1245-"Kokiri-Forest"
- Welcome to 1.0.
- You can now blacklist a set of songs with the exclude feature. Check the About/FAQ for full information
- I have added the ability for you to decide if you want the script to update your cover-art on a per-playlist basis.
5 Jun '19: v0.9-"Lemon-Squeezy"
- It is super basic but I've started to work on a theme. This means that the app will fully respect mobile devices and their screen sizes. Things should look much better for mobile users.
- I am aware that some users have url's in their magic playlist's description. For those users the script is currently double escaping the /'s in the url and making for a messy display after a few runs: "&amp;amp;amp;#x2F". The only solution I have right now is that you dont use urls in your playlist's description. It's not clickable anyway, so I urge you to consider it's importance anyway. :/
30 May '19: v0.8-"🐛"
- Was updating the playlist log but not sorting it. Now it sorts by date. Most recent at top. Which means the cover art now shows the last time it was udpated, not the first time. Thanks to Martjin for reporting.
- Playlist descriptions are respected if there is one. A '#log' is appended for the last 5 days at the end of the description.
5 May '19: v0.7-"Rembrandt"
- New functionality: The script will now update the cover art and description with a short log of when it added/removed anything. Some users may need to re-oauth for the cover-art to work. TODO: Will add a way to choose if you want the cover art replaced in the future. Dates are based on UTC.
- A limit has been added of maximum 7500 songs in a single magic list. If more songs are gathered, only the first 7500 songs will be added.
- I was previously detecting purged accounts based on ANY error from spotify when refreshing the oauth token. I am now properly capturing and purging only instances of token's being revoked on Spotify Accounts. The script will only purge revoked accounts now :) Sorry for anyone who was erroneously purged :( Feel free to use the import feature that I've added to re-add. Shouldn't happen again though.
10 Dec '18: v0.6-"Brutus"
- We are just starting to generate updates again after a month of being offline. Thank you for baring with us. We have optimized the script and it should run smoother than ever. Check status.writhem.com for updated information
26 Nov '18: v0.5-"Caesar"
- Recently went through some major server upgrades that did two things... Made things run faster, and did not migrate data. Sue me. You don't pay me. Okay don't sue me... please. I this for free. That being said, users will need to reauthenticate and then recreate their magic playlists. Sorry about that :( Should be generating lists again soon.
13 Jun '18: v0.4-"Reassignment-Surgery"
- Fixed some assumptions on data-types.
27 May '18: v0.3-"Echelon"
- Was getting some spotify api errors. The script catches those now and skips the problematic entry if anything dies. Additionally I output the errors to a log file so that I can analyze the problems later. The file deletes at the start of every day at midnight. Should allow me to fix the problem thon Spotify is throwing...
30 Apr '18: v0.2-"Owlet"
- First public version.
Show me some cool stats?Alright. We don't have a lot of data but:
- We monitor lists for 1,700 accounts
- These users have 1,128 master lists that are linked on Spotify
- These users have created 16,363 playlist links
- time_complete=>2021-05-06 03:50:53 UTC
- time_current=>2021-05-06 03:56:20 UTC